- Staff Directory
- For Students
- For Parents
- For Staff
Our Policy on Skipping Classes
A math course is much more than learning content. It involves discussions, problem solving, constructing viable arguments, critiquing the reasoning of others, projects, enrichment and more. Skipping classes in the Gunn Math Honors sequence should be very rare.
--> In fact, the only possible class to skip is Alg2/Trig H. The reasoning is as follows:
- Geometry is a graduation requirement and must be taken at PAUSD (or another school district)
- The Analysis H curriculum is non-standard and features many college level topics and an emphasis on problem solving that cannot be replicated by self-study.
--> To skip Alg2/TrigH a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Average 93% or higher on unit tests in Geo H
- Earn a qualifying score on the AMC 10 or 12 (offered twice in February)
- Earn a score of 93% or higher on the Alg2/Trig H final exam. Such an exam will be arranged with the Gunn Math Department Lead and be taken before Summer Break
--> Skipping classes outside of the honors lane is never allowed.
--> Please visit our Summer Opportunities page for additional enrichment options.