Off Campus Courses (Non PAUSD)
If you are considering whether to take a course off-campus, you have come to the right place! There are a variety of reasons why a student may want to take a course outside of PAUSD. Our hope is that you are looking to take courses off-campus for personal enrichment and not just for a grade on a transcript. Please read through the FAQ below and follow the appropriate steps as outlined.
Summer 2023 updates to Policy
Please note that Administrative Regulation (AR) 6146.11 has been updated and will apply to all off campus course requests starting with Summer 2023.
Starting with Summer 2023, prior-approved off-campus courses will transfer onto the PAUSD transcript with a CR/NC and will not be included in the PAUSD GPA. Students will need to submit separate transcripts to colleges to show the grade earned from the outside institution. In addition, schools that have supplemental (SEP) WASC accreditation will not be accepted. A school with supplemental accreditation may fall into one of the following categories:
- Does not issue a high school diploma.
- Does not have a UCOP course list.
- And/or does not issue an official transcript with a grade and course units.
With prior approval, the following exceptions allow off campus courses to be placed on the Gunn (PAUSD) transcript with a grade and included in the GPA:
- Courses repeated for credit recovery (when a student has earned a grade lower than a C-).
- CCAP - Dual Enrollment courses offered through PAUSD. (Courses that have a "D" following the course number i.e. 4915D).
- World Language courses taken off campus that Gunn does not offer on campus.
All other prior-approved off-campus courses will receive a CR/NC grade on the PAUSD transcript.
- I am interested in taking a course off-campus, what is the procedure?
- Once I have completed the above, what do I do next?
- What if I need to get a signature on a specific form from the institution with which I am taking the approved course?
- I successfully completed my off-campus course! What do I do now?
- I am an incoming Freshman and want to take a course off-campus before 9th grade.
- If I have already started or completed a course off-campus and want to get approval for transfer onto the transcript can I do so?
- When can I start taking courses off-campus?
- I would like to jump a lane in Math or a level in World Language. May I take a course off-campus during the summer to advance to the next level of the Math or World Language sequence?
- I need to include a PAUSD transcript with my off-campus course registration. How do I do that?
- How many off-campus courses can I take at a time?
- How many off-campus courses will show up on my PAUSD transcript?
- If I take a community college, Honors or AP course off-campus, how will that be calculated into my GPA? Will I get an extra point to boost my GPA?
- If I earned a D or F in a course, may I retake it? What is the process for this?
- Can you please help with the registration process at other institutions - I don't understand their system?
- Why is it so hard to get into a community college course?
- Who will pay for me to take a course off-campus?