Q: Where can I find information about commuting to Gunn?

A: Walking, bicycling, driving and bus route maps, parking and permit information, and more can be found here

Q: What types of permits are available?

A: There are two types of permits: carpool and regular. Carpool permits require a total of two occupants inside the vehicle and proof of pession of a driver's license for at least one year. Carpoolers may park in the carpool lot, which is designated by blue signs. Regular permits allow students to park in the regular lot. Both permits cost $125.

If you forget to bring your permit to school, ask at the Main Office for a temporary day permit (limited to twice per school year)

Q: What do I do if I drive a different car to school?

A: If you forget to bring your permit to school, ask at the Main Office for a temporary day permit (limited to twice per school year)

Q: What happens if I park illegally?

A: Parking at Gunn High School is enforced randomly all school days by the PAPD. Anyone parking in the wrong lot or without a visible permit will be issued a $46 ticket.



Q: What is Gunn's tardy policy?

A: Being tardy is defined as not being in the classroom when the tardy bell rings. After the third tardy, your teacher may warn you or impose consequences. After the fifth tardy, your guidance counselor will receive written notification, your parents will be notified, and you will be assigned to Saturday School. If you have an Individual education Plan (IEP), your guidance counselor will initiate an IEP review. After the eighth tardy, your teacher may ask an assistant principal to drop you from the class, and your parents will be notified. You will not be permitted to transfer to another section of the same class.

Q: What is Gunn's absence policy?

A: If you miss one or more classes, your family receives a call from the Attendance Office later that day. If you have three "cuts," a truancy letter will be sent to your parents or guardians. If you have four "cuts," you will be required to attend Saturday School and sign a contract indicating that on the fifth cut you may be dropped from class. To clear an absence of any length, a parent or guardian must call the attendance office (354-8210). Please state clearly the student's name and grade, relationship to parent/guardian, periods or days of absence, and the reason.

Q: What if I feel sick while I'm at school?

A: If you're in class, ask your teacher to excuse you. They will give you a form so you can visit the nurse in the Health Office (in the Main Office building). You can remain there up to 20 minutes, after which you need to either return to class or call to be picked up. A return-to-class pass or permit to leave campus is required. If a nurse is not present, the Main Office secretaries will help you. No medication can be administered without the completion of a Health Office form.

Q: What is a "Warranted Absence" form and when do I need one?

A: If you must be out of school for a reason other than your health (e.g., a conference or tournament), you must get a "Warranted Absence" form from the Attendance or Main Office. It must be signed by all your teachers and an administrator and returned to the Attendance Office.This form allows you to get homework assignments and make up tests. If teachers don't believe it's a good idea for you to miss class, this will be indicated on the form. Seniors and second-semester juniors may obtain college visitation forms in the Attendance Office.



Q: What is the role of my guidance counselor, and how do I set up a meeting?

A: Gunn's guidance counselors perform many functions. They help you choose appropriate classes, approve schedule changes, advise you on personal problems, help you search for colleges, counsel you on academic problems, write college recommendations, set up conferences with your parents, and provide information on summer programs and scholarships. If you want to talk to your guidance counselor, go to the Guidance Office (next to the Main Office). If you have a brief question, try to catch your counselor before or after school or during brunch or lunch. To make an appointment, go to yourcounselor's office and fill out a pink appointment slip, then put it in the mailbox pocket on your guidance counselor's door. A prep period is a good time to meet. You will receive a call slip to see your counselor. You can also ask a question or schedule an appointment by phone or email. Phone numbers are on page 46 of the student handbook or on the school website.

Q: What is the procedure for changing my schedule?

A: Go to the Guidance Office and pick up a "Student Schedule Change Petition" form from the wire basket on the counter. Fill out the requested information. To add a class or section, you must get the isgnature of the department's instructional supervisor. To drop a class, first check with your guidance counselor to make sure that dropping won't affect your school enrollment or graduation. Get the signature of the teacher whose class you want to drop, as well as a parent's. Make a photocopy in case the form gets misplaced. Then place the form in your guidance counselor's "in" basket (ask a clerk where that is). Your guidance counselor will enter the chnge into the school computer; ou and your teachers will be notified when it takes effect.

Q: How do I get help with academic problems?

A: First, let your teacher or counselor know you are having problems. They will give you advice. Also, take advantage of the Academic Center, next to the Library. It provides a quiet place to study and can arrange for free tutoring, either by peers or adults.

Q: How is the Weighted GPA calculated at Gunn?

A: Following is the process by which WGPA are calculated at Gunn:



  • Weighted classes receive on additional point for GPA calculations.  An A in a college prep course receives 4.0 points and an A in an honors or AP course receives 5.0 points.  Grades that have pluses/minuses earn the whole number GPA points.  For example, a B+, B, and B- all earn 3.0 in a college prep class and 4.0 in an honors/AP class.
  • It is basically a cumulative weighted GPA … the current weighted GPA calculation on the Gunn transcript includes all courses on the transcript taken in grades 9-12 and takes into account all courses designated as honors and AP in Infinite Campus. It does not have a cap on the amount of weighted credit students can receive.  
  • This is different from the GPA calculation used at UC/CSU, which does not count 9th grade classes and limits the number of weighted courses to 8 total.  This is the WGPA that Paly will use this year.
  • The superintendent will form a small committee to study and recommend a WGPA formula for next year that will be used at both Paly and Gunn.



Q: What if I need financial aid to take part in school activities?

A: Money problems should not stand in the way of participating in gunn's many extracurricular activities. If you need financial help, the best person to talk to is your guidance counselor. He or she can locate scholarship funds for dances, yearbook purchases, prep courses for standardized tests (such as PSATs and SATs), exam fees, and all school-related events. Free or reduced-fee school lunches are also available in some circumstnaces. Your parents must fill out a confidential financial disclosure form, available in the Main Office. A waiver of the $150-per-sport athletics fee is also available. Talk to the Athletic Director and have your parents fill out an application.

 Q: Do I need a work permit? How do I get one?

A: If you're between 14 and 18 and want to work, you need a work permit unless you've already graduated from high school. Each time you get a new job you must bget a new permit. Pick up a green "Request for Work Permit" from the Work Experience Office. Fill it out and have your prospective employer fill out the "Employer" section, then obtain your parent's signature. Bring the completed form back to the Work Experience Office. You will receive your permit in 1-3 days. You must then sign it and give it to your employer. During the summer, obtain the green form from the Summer School Office (at whichever high school is hosting summer school). State and federal laws limit the number of hours and time of day that 14- and 15-year-olds can work. All work epermits expire five days after the start of the school year and must be re-issued.



Q: Can I use computers at Gunn to do my homework?

A: Yes. Computers are available for student use in the library, the Academic Center and Student Activities Center (SAC). Laptop computers are available for short term (1-2 hour) checkout from the library. Here are some guidelines for you to remember:

* You must sign an "Appropriate Use Agreement" before using computers on campus. All freshmen and students new to Gunn must review this document online as part of the registration process.

* Students are encouraged to print documents at home. However, printers are available for stuent use in the Academic Center.

* Students are expected to respect the equipment and privilege of access. Students who do not follow the guidelines set forth in the Student Technology Use Handbook may have their access restricted or revoked and/or may be subject to disciplinary action.

Q: Can I use my own laptop or smart phone to access Gunn's Wireless Network?

A: Yes. There is a student wireless network available that allows access for 1-2 hours at a time. Students must enter a password and review the Student Wireless Agreement in order to gain access. Please stop by the library technology office (LB2C) or ask the librarian to obtain the password.


Q: What if someone is harassing me?

A: Harassment is a crime, as well as grounds for expulsion. If someone is calling you names, threatening to fight you, making inappropriate comments, or sexually harassing you, tell him or her the behavior is offensive and must stop. If speaking to the person directly is difficult for you or the harassment continues despite your objections, tell your guidance counselor, a favorite teacher, or an assistant principal, and they will approach the person on your behalf. Staff members are legally obligated to report the incident to administration.

Q: How do I get help with personal problems or feeling "stressed out"?

A: All of us feel overwhelmed or stressed out at times. Sometimes it's helpful to talk with a relative or friend about how you're feeling. Talking with a favorite faculty member or administrator can help. Guidance counselors can help with stress related to scheduling issues, career choices, college information, graduation requirements, and so on. You may want to talk with a professional counselor or therapist about your concerns, especially when issues are especially complicated or confusing. Gunn students have access to free counseling services through the Adolescent Counseling Service On-Campus Program. ACS can also help you connect with resources in the community. The agency also runs an outpatient alcohol and substance abuse program. ACS counselors provide individual, group and family therapy sessions to support students and families with issues such as academic stress, self-esteem, peer relationships, family relationships, anger management, drug and alcohol problems, depression, eating discorders and sexual identity issues. The counselors won't judge you or tell you how to live your life; they'll listen to you, support you in whatever manner you find helpful, and offer specific techniques in relaxation, stress reduction and problem-solving. The counseling is primarily supportive and preventative in nature. If a more intensive level of treatment is needed, ACS provides referrals to community resources or private therapists. Contact the ACS community counselor at 849-7919.

Q: What if I have a substance abuse problem?

A: You are not alone. Help is readily available. Try one or more of the following:

* Call the "24-7" information line, 1-888-247-7717 for confidential information regarding health, substance use, family and relationship concerns 24 hours a day.

* Make an appointment with the ACS community counselor. All information is kept confidential.

* Go to the Health Office for confidential information and advice. You'll find a large number of pamphlets and informational packets.

* Talk to your counselor.

Q: What is the role of the school psychologist?

A: As a member of the IEP Team, the school psychologist assists in determining eligibility for special educational services. He/she also consults with teachers and parents on learning characteristics and behavioral and emotional issues of students. In addition, he/she can provide referrals to private therapists or mental health agencies. Contact him/her at 354-8216.